Thursday, May 24, 2018

A Body in the Trunk (Myrtle Clover Mysteries #12) by Elizabeth Spann Craig

A Body in the Trunk by Elizabeth Spann Craig
My Rating: ★★★★

When one of Myrtle’s neighbors goes missing, she’s quick to aid his distraught wife in the search only to find him dead in the trunk of his car. With a new murderer on her hands, Myrtle and Miles investigate the life and death of their late neighbor and follow the clues the killer has left behind. Before they know it, the killer strikes again, pushing the duo to hurry up and find the murderer before he or she targets another poor soul.

I love this series. Myrtle’s antics never fail to make me laugh. Plus, the great cast of characters that make up her small town have been hilarious since the moment I started this series some time ago. We have Myrtle’s son, who irritates her more than usual because he thinks she’s having money troubles. Erma and her never ending ailments never fail to make me laugh, especially because she reminds me of my younger brother. Miles cousin and resident psychic, Wanda, is always a great addition. I love that she has been featured much more than I ever thought she would when I first started the series. There are so many wonderful characters in this book that I could go on about them for some time. They’re such a fun and goofy cast that I’ll miss when the series eventually comes to an end.

In addition to the characters, I love Myrtle’s hilariously large gnome collection that takes over her lawn every time she’s irritated with Red. It’s even more fun now that her gnome collection has been spruced up by some questionable gardening in another one of her daughter-in-law’s new hobbies. I think it’s wonderful that the gnomes have been getting some extra love in the last few novels. I wouldn’t mind if she had another temporary art installation done with them in the future.

The mystery itself was another good one. I figured out who it was around halfway through the book, which didn’t take away from the story. It was still interesting to watch Myrtle and her sometimes reluctant sleuthing partner, Miles, investigate as well as continuing to live their lives. They have such a wonderful friendship and Miles tries his best to hold Myrtle back when he can. I like that we visit characters and locations that we see in past novels as well as slowly venture into different areas of Myrtles life as the series continues. I can’t wait to read the next installment when it drops!

No comments:

Post a Comment