Saturday, December 30, 2017

Silence of the Flans (Emergency Dessert Squad Mystery #2) by Laura Bradford

Silence of the Flans by Laura Bradford
My Rating: ★★★

Winnie's new business is just starting to pick up when her latest recipient turns up dead with a Emergency Dessert Squad blackberry crisp in her mouth. Her customers dry up as she finds herself the talk of the town and a murder suspect. With plenty of time suddenly on her hands, Winnie decides to investigate the murder and clear her name once and for all.

The second installment of the series is just as charming as the first. All of the old folks that Winnie hangs out with on a regular basis are such sweet and fun characters. Mr. Nelson and Bridget remind me of people I know, so it's so much fun to watch these characters appear throughout the story. Then there's Renee, who is a wonderful and supportive friend. I love these characters and the dynamic between them. However, I've found that Winnie is not my favorite person even though she's the protagonist. She's often too naive to be believable, which takes me out of the story from time to time. Otherwise, I love watching these characters interact and grow as people.

Unlike the first novel, this installment is primarily focused on the murder mystery because Winnie is in the spotlight because her tasty crisp is allegedly the murder weapon. She begins the investigation with a partner and quickly begins investigating on her own only to discover the real killer when they're face to face. I wish that she had a partner during her investigation for much longer than she did because Winnie is more interesting and believable when she's closely linked with one or more secondary characters. I love the story; I just wish that she did less solo investigating.

I love Winnie's struggles with Lovey, the cat who seems to love everyone but her new owner. I'm looking forward to seeing their relationship continue and if Lovey will ever be somewhat loving toward Winnie in the future. I'm a cat person, so I love seeing Lovey's interactions with the characters as well as Winnie's struggles with her. Plus, Lovey seems to be the main ice breaker between Winnie and Jay's daughter. I'm looking forward to the next installment as well as more tasty sounding recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment