Thursday, October 19, 2017

There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins

There's Someone Inside Your House by Stephanie Perkins
My Rating: ★★

Makani makes one jealous mistake and her life was over. She lost her boyfriend and her friends. Not even her parents look at her the same, not that she blames them. Her parents decide to ship her off to live with her grandma and enter a small town life where no knows who she is and what her secret is. However, small town life goes from normal to alarming when a terrifying killer appears without a clear pattern.

I really enjoyed the rotating perspectives with Makani being the central voice that we see. I love several of the characters, especially Makani's grandma. I would love to hang out with her grandma and put together puzzles and stuff. I loved Makini's friends and the high school gossip element as well. It reminded me of being back in school and the gossip that spread fast.

However, there were a few things that kept taking me out of the story. The first thing is Makani's big secret past. I wish we knew what it was a lot sooner than when she finally spilled the beans so that we knew what was weighing her down so much. I was finding myself more interested in what the big secret was than the murder plot. Finally, the romance plot overshadows the horror plot. I wish the creepy factor was a little more amped up and that the romance was scaled back a bit.

Several of my friends have been raving about this book, so I really wanted to love it. Sadly, it just isn't a match made in heaven. For me, this novel is far more YA romance than horror, which is not something that I was expecting. There are things that I like about this book, but the things that bothered me just made it fall flat. All in all, it's not a bad book. There are definitely some good things going on in it. I think it simply comes down to it just not being my cup of tea. That said, several of my friends love it and I already plan on recommending it to a few more because I know they'll love it too. I also think that it would make a great slasher movie that I would most likely enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment