Sunday, August 20, 2017

Midnight Crossroad (Midnight, Texas #1) by Charlaine Harris

Midnight Crossroad by Charlaine Harris
My Rating: ★★★★

Manfred Barnado, a legitimate psychic, has packed up and moved to a mysterious town called Midnight. It's a town perfect for anyone hiding a secret, big or small, or otherwise running from something that they don't want to find them. Manfred fits right in with his fellow supernatural townsfolk as well as the regular folk who help makeup this mysterious town.

I picked up this novel after starting the television show that recently started. Loving the show after a single episode, I figured it would be fun to read the book. I wasn't sure how much the book would spoil the show and vice versa, but I forged ahead anyway. So far, the two incarnations appear to be two separate beasts with the show being faster paced.

That said, I rather enjoyed the book. It's a bit of a slow burn with more focus on getting to know the characters and how the town works as the mystery starts to build up. It's also fun occasionally meeting the supernatural people who travel through town. There's also a nice mix of things with the rotating perspectives so we can follow various characters in town rather than just Manfred. I really enjoy Fiji's perspective in particular, and she is my favorite character so far.

The mystery plot is an interesting one that has many twists and turns. It doesn't read as a typical cozy mystery, but it definitely fits in with them. I have to say that I did not put two and two together and was surprised to learn who the true killer was. It made sense, and all the hints were there, but I just didn't entertain them as a possibility. I'm excited to see how the series develops because I think it has a lot of potential.

No comments:

Post a Comment